Saturday, March 28, 2009

the choices we don't make

Reccing Note: So I asked for something from fonapola too. Not only is she one of the very best Chloe/Dean crossover writers in fandom, she can tackle anything.
For example, this was the first time I have seen an outline format like this work so splendidly.
Change one thing, change everything. 5 different directions Chloe and Davis could have taken.

751 words, pg, prey and abyss
by fonapola at her livejournal.

They needed to talk— no she needed to talk and he needed to listen.

I.

“Besides, everything with you is so…”

“…so easy.”

Chloe pushed the door open with a stiff arm, her mind set on one thing: finding Davis. They needed to talk— no she needed to talk and he needed to listen.

“Chloe?”

She turned and found Davis standing in the doorway of the exam room, staring at her in curiously. “What are you doing here?” he asked, obviously remembering her earlier statement. I think it’s best if I don’t see you for a while.

“You can’t ask me things like that,” she declared, crossing her arms as he walked into the room.

“What? Why not? It’s my exam room, I have the ri— ”

“No,” she cut in. “Before. You can’t ask me about my feelings. I’m engaged. I’m happy. I have nothing to prove to you.”

Davis moved so he was standing in front of her. “If you have nothing to prove then why are you here?”

His words caught her off guard and she struggled for a response. She played with her hands, attempting a glare and knowing it was failing. She had responses. She had a whole list of things to declare and argue, but they left as soon as he moved closer.

She couldn’t think with him standing in front of her, looking like everything she never had, but secretly hoped for. She suddenly remembered why she’d decided to keep her distance, and knew showing up at the hospital had been a mistake.

“Davis…” she started, but hesitated when she felt something fall into her hands. She looked down and realized she’d pulled her engagement ring from her finger.

“Did you help me because of some personal code of ethics, or was there more to it than that?” Davis asked, repeating his earlier question— the one that had put them in the current mess.

Chloe shook her head and closed her hand around her loose ring, knowing that her answer was about to change.

II.

She swallowed, looking anywhere but her friend’s face. She’d promised her trust. She’d promised loyalty.

And now she was going to break those promises.

“Chloe. What is it?” Clark asked, bending a little to catch her eyes.

“It’s Davis,” she whispered. “I think he’s a murderer.”

III.

“I understand, but I am not ready to let you go. I will wait for as long as it takes. You know where to find me.”

Chloe hesitated, part of her urging her to continue down the alley and away from Davis and his declaration. She didn’t need this. She was getting married soon to a great man. She didn’t need him messing with her head.

But she wanted to know.

“Why?” she asked, without turning around to face him. “Why me?”

“I said it before,” Davis started. “Everything with you is easy. There’s a connection between us that I know you don’t feel with anyone else.” She heard him move closer, but didn’t turn.

“Davis, I’m engaged.”

“I know.”

She swallowed. “I’m not normal.”

By then, Davis was standing behind her. He let out a breathy laugh and settled at hand on her shoulder. “Good, because I’m not, either.”

She turned then and looked up at him, searching for another reason. “There’s a connection,” she said, instead.

“Yeah,” he agreed. He cupped her face, like he had moments before. And this time, when his lips met hers, she didn’t hesitate or back away.

She just accepted.

IV.

“It’s me, Chloe,” Davis pleaded.

Chloe shook her head, stepping back from the man that had once been her friend. “No. Davis Bloome died the day he started killing.” She continued backwards until she felt the comforting protection of Clark’s chest at her back. “I’m not even sure Davis ever existed.”

Davis frowned, his eyes flashing. “Wrong choice,” he growled.

Doomsday suddenly stood before them, and Chloe knew he was wrong. She had made the right choice.

She’d chosen Good. She’d chosen the hero over the villain.

V.


She made her choice.

He wasn’t the boy from the beginning, or the boy who’d promised forever, but he was more than enough. He was the man who’d found her first, who’d looked at her and never looked at anyone else.

He was the man who’d chosen her before she even knew she had a choice.

It was easy with him, easier than it had been with anyone else. They fit without trying. He saw her, made her smile, protected her. And she did everything she could to repay him.

He smiled at her and she let herself move on from all the horrors she’d endured in the last month. Her memories were all back. Her wedding was nonexistent. And she was with the man who’d seen her through.

She’d made her choice.

She’d chosen Davis.


If you liked this, let her know. Maybe she'll write more. ^-^

No comments:

Post a Comment